Mold, a powerful word that can send homeowners in Greenville running for the hills. Mold can be found all around us and not all mold is bad for you. Mold has been used to create medicines and gives flavor to some of the foods we eat. However, when mold starts growing in your Greenville home you may have a problem.
What is mold?
Mold is part of the fungi kingdom and unlike plants, mold does not use photosynthesis to gain energy from the sun. Instead, mold needs water to grow and thrive. Without water or excess moisture in the air, mold is unable to grow. Mold decomposes dead organic material to grow, this means it can grow on paper, drywall, wood, and other materials made from wood. Molds releases digest fluids that cause materials to decompose.
Where does mold grow?
Mold can grow outdoors and indoors. Outdoors, mold can be found growing in soil, wood, decaying plants and deceased animals. Indoors, mold can be found in expired food, damp areas, carpet, clothes, paper, leather, drywall, wood, and in the insulation. Bathrooms, attics, basements, crawlspaces, and kitchens are where mold can be found most often in household environments.
How does mold spread?
Mold is able to grow by extending tiny root-like hairs called hyphae. The extension of hyphae allows a small colony of mold to expand, covering more square feet of material. Mold can also create spores that resemble microscopic seeds. These spores can survive harsh conditions and can be released into the air or through the water to reach new locations.
How does mold affect your health?
According to the CDC exposure to mold can cause a wide variety of effects on your health, or it can do nothing at all. Some people are sensitive to mold and can suffer from nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, wheezing or coughing skin irritation, and eye irritation. Some individuals may be allergic to mold and can suffer more severe effects such as chronic lung illnesses, vomiting, and flu-like symptoms.
Mold Removal in Greenville
Detecting or removing mold growth from your home in Greenville isn’t as easy as wiping down the surface or spraying bleach on the problem areas. Surface mold is usually only the tip of the iceberg to a larger problem. Mold growth can be a sign of a hidden water leak or excess moisture in the air from poor ventilation. As we mentioned earlier, mold spores are very resilient and once disturbed (by the motion of a moving rag, or force of a spray bottle) they can become airborne and transfer to another location in your home. It the root of the moisture issue isn’t resolved mold will keep coming back time and time again.
A qualified mold detector offers valuable mold inspection and mold testing that can drastically improve the quality of your home or business structure. You can perform the first of a mold detectors tasks by using your nose. Mold has a distinct smell that is easy to recognize. If you smell that musty mildew smell – call a mold detector at ACC Cleaning & Restoration in Greenville and have the property inspected immediately.